Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Farm share and recent cooking escapades

Cooking has not been as prolific as I would like, I was busy. Now the quilt show is over, and I am trying to cook more. Recent attempts included a stir-fry and beet soup.

I used several things last night that are also going to be in this weeks box, "basic" vegie stir fry:
Olive oil
Cleaned and chopped leek (1 or 2)
2 large cloves garlic (last of last season's), smashed and chopped
Broccoli (OK I bought this, but it is coming this week), florets (could also use cubed/sliced stem bits)
Ginger (fresh would be better, but I was out so used dried)
Chard, washed and chopped - about 6-7 leaves
Sprouts (whatever was in box)
Sauteed leeks and garlic until soft, added broccoli, stirred for about a minute, sprinkled with ginger, added chard, cooked a bit more, then added a splash of water and covered to steam a bit, then added sprouts and recovered. Removed from heat until the rest of dinner was done.

This was served with brown rice and ham steak. I made extra rice so I could do a stir fried rice tonight, or tomorrow.

The other thing I made recently was beet soup adapted from Molly Katzen's New Moosewood Cookbook. Since the beets were cooked, it went together very quickly.
Olive oil
Chopped onion (1 large)
Chopped potatoes (2 cups)
Chopped, peeled cooked beets (2 cups)
Chicken broth 2-4 cups, must cover vegies!
Sour cream
Saute onions, add potatoes, saute some more, add broth, beets, cook until potatoes are tender. Either use an immersion blender or blend in batches until smooth. Add sour cream, salt and pepper to taste, enjoy.
In retrospect, some dill would have been good to add, and also garlic.

2 comments:

Crispy said...

I love making stir-fry. It's such a good meal for just grabbing stuff out of the fridge.

Crispy

ConnieB/CA said...

I do it a lot as well, also known at our house as vegie saute.