I started cutting out this quilt in 2001. Did not make a lot of progress (only the red rectangles got cut at that time). I ran out of red, and wanted to use it more, but alas, it was not to be. I ended up getting more fabric, washing it, and not getting back, you know that old distraction thing. I had started something else, and this had lost its appeal. Fast forward to December 2011. The Free Motion Quilting challenge 2012 was announced, and solid fabrics were prefereable for samples because you could see the quilting. And I had a picnic basket full of solid fabrics for this quilt. Still wanting to make this, I decided to make the top, all 96" square of it, then make sample sandwiches with leftovers. One sandwich is now ready to go for the January stitch-out. Stay tuned!