Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ricky Tims Super Seminar

For the last three days I have been soaking up information from Ricky Tims, Alex Anderson and Libby Lehman. Along the way I also have been tempted to start several new projects. But I will finish a few before I start these, I hope. One of the new ones is an idea for the perfect quilt for my oldest grandson. He wanted a green and black plaid quilt. I think that doing four convergence blocks, setting them on point and then something in the corners would be perfect. I am thinking about adding some Celtic inspired animals to the corners (I already have a great Dover book for design inspiration), using Ricky's applique technique. I even have the fabric. Then there is the kaleidoscope quilt that I thought about making (and bought fabric for) last time I saw Ricky. Found that in the stash, Ricky’s hand dyes along with some complimentary Mickey Lawler Skydyes. Scrumptious. And let us not forget the Rhapsody quilt I want to make. Bought the book this weekend, along with some of Ricky's (now dyed by Jeff, because Ricky and Justin don't have time anymore).

I have been working away on my Shoo-Fly blocks, inspired by Gerda’s Shoo fly quilt in the Return to Elm Creek book by Jennifer Chiaverini. It is 72 blocks, and I have 66 finished. This is a UFO I started in Jan 2006, after aging some fabric from Cotton in the Cabin for a couple of years. I had 36 blocks done when it got set aside. After I finished the Yellow Brick Road top I picked it back up. I found some dark blue fabric in the stash to use as sashing and border, but still need to find something for the skinny accent border. I’d like to get this done before, I start something new, at least the top. I have three quilt tops waiting to be basted already (Yellow Brick Road, baby YBR, and a Garden Fairy top), this will be number 4. Guess I better get back to work.

No comments: