Sunday, April 15, 2012

Patchwork Party 2008 - UFO turned into WIP

Back in 2008 I fell in love with the Prairie Paisley fabric that was being used for the Summer edition of Patchwork Party. I made all of blocks from the various stores. I bought lots of Prairie Paisley fabric from my LQS. I looked at all of the finishing options, then using Electric quilt, I modified one and made it my own. The center of my quilt was going to have a Feathered Star. Now, mind you, I had never made a Feathered Star at this point. I started it, but then had issues, didn't think it was going to work, and gave up on it for a while. I even cannibalized the blocks I had made for the corners and made a baby quilt with them. But I still loved the fabric, and had made two feathered stars when I decided to get back to this. This one was harder, and bigger, but it is done! I used a combination of Marti Michell templates (P set) and EQ templates for the center star. You can see from the mock-up below I have a ways to go. Next up, a bunch of 8-pointed stars. I've figured out that the MM Q set can be used for the triangles and corner squares, but no diamonds are the right size. I might make the corner blocks first, just to make sure I have enough fabric for all four before I do the scrappy stars.
Love this fabric! I recently got some Prairie Paisely II fabric. At this point my fabric container has enough fabric for at least 3 quilts! I have an idea for at least one more (Barb Adems and Alma Adams' Women of Grace and Charm), then we'll see if there is enough for another big one, or just a lap quilt.

No comments: