Monday, December 30, 2013

Celtic solstice - or in my case Autumnal Equinox

For the first time I decided to do Bonnie Hunter's December mystery as it was happening (or at all). I don't normally do mysteries, at least quilt mysteries. I like to have more control I guess. Bonnie's colors were based on the Irish flag. I based mine on the colors in the Bittersweet fabric collection, but pulled fabrics from stash (so I can still use my Bittersweet fabric in something else!) It was a Fall grouping, hence the Autumnal Equinox name.

Bonnie put together directions for a small (lap) and a large (king) quilt. Originally I thought I would make enough units for the king, and did that for step 1. Then I had second thoughts (after cutting all of step 2, and piecing more than half, but not all of the units).



By step 3, I thought I would just do enough for the small size, then add more for a queen size.

Meanwhile, I have been playing around in EQ, mostly to help me with how many units I would really need. Based on past mysteries, I figured it would be two blocks, set in an alternating style. Step 3 was only 25 units for the small size, so it was likely a center of a block. But only one of the two, or both? Don't know. I played around with blocks set 5 units by 5 units, 9 patch based blocks set side by side, and 9 patch blocks with sashing. I still don't know what Bonnie has planned, because none of my guesses uses exactly the number of units she is having us make. But I figured I should make a few more of each step, just to be on the "I won't have as much to do when I do find out her plan" side.



I figured there might be a block made with steps 1 and 4 and a different block made with steps 2, 3 and 5. I still have a lot of step 1 units leftover, so waiting to see what Bonnie has come up with.

Using that logic, I made 41 pinwheels, might need more, might need less.



And there is a ways to go on the last step (these are piles of 10).



I've been having fun playing around with possibilities, some of which might actually get made sometime in the future.

10 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Lovely units for the mystery very nice colors. I am doing the small one and that is enough for me to keep up with right now.

Andee said...

Looking great!

Anonymous said...

Is that you Connie? I didn't realize that you were doing this mystery, too? I guess Susan wasn't lying when she said that everyone she knew was doing Bonnie's mystery. Lovely progress, so far. But your quilts always are... lovely that is! Happy New Year! -- Jo

ConnieB/CA said...

yes, this is me Jo. Are you and Susan doing this too?

Anonymous said...

I am, but Susan decided that she had too many irons in the fire as it was.

Mary said...

I trying to make a Small one and a King size, Call me CRAZY! Yep!

ConnieB/CA said...

Mary - crazy lady! You are so prolific!

Unknown said...

Your 3 Kings Wall Hanging is adorable! I have enjoyed reading your Blog. You idea of Bonnie's blocks are interesting, also. Happy New Year and Happy Quilting!

Andee said...

I love how everyone tries to figure it out, so much fun! Now that the reveal is out I cannot wait to get back to mine!

Unknown said...

A year late and a dollar short. That's me. You might have tickled my interest to do this years. Macinac Island / the grand hotel.. is a fav of so many of us.. Pat of Pat'sPattering is doing it,too.