Friday, August 28, 2009

Next goal done - Table Runner

Number 4 on my list of things to do was to finish my HST table runner. Originally this was for a how to make half square triangles (lots of them) accurately using a method I have seen a couple of places, but involves cutting strips on the bias, seaming them together, pressing them and then cutting squares. This helps to get rid of the distortion (I get) when pressing the squares open after cutting them. Since this was a sample, I decided to use some fabric I had purchased a while back (~8 years I think) for placemats. This was a table runner that would go with placemats, after all. Now I just need to make the placemats and napkins (right...) Anyway, at the beginning of the month I had the HSTs shown in the top picture completed, and figured I could use the fabric on the right for the skinny border and not so skinny border, setting triangles, and whatever. Didn't happen. The blue was just too close to the blue in the HSTs, and I opted to use a darker blue for setting triangles. I had a lot of the medium blue used in the HSTs, so used that for the skinny border and binding. Only problem was it was in fat quarters, as was the dark blue. So did a bit of piecing to get pieces long enough. The checked fabric ended up as the backing. I used a double cotton batting so I can set hot things on it at the table and not worry about my wood tabletop.
It is machine quilted in the ditch, all of them, and then a meandering leaf pattern in the outer border that complements the leafy background fabric.

Meanwhile I have been getting stuff together to head off to Empty Spools, where I get to take a class from the fabulous Suzanne Marshall. I am sooooo excited! You can check her out at http://www.suzannequilts.com/index.html . Check out her gallery and you will know why I am so happy to be taking a class from her. I will be learning her "Take away applique" technique.

1 comment:

Crispy said...

The table runner is really pretty Connie. I'll have to go check out the link, I have no idea what take away applique is...

Crispy