Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Sitka Quilt top and other things

A long time ago, the June before our 25th wedding anniversary, and we just celebrated 36 years of wedded bliss, Paul and I went on a cruise to Alaska. I went to as many quilt shops as I could find, and in beautiful Sitka I found this quilt kit. It languished, as so many of my kits do. I got it cut out a few years back, and it continued to languish. Recently I started using it as leader/enders for other projects. It finally got to the point where I said, let's just finish it! So, I got it to the top stage yesterday, finishing just after midnight. The kit even came with backing and binding! So the next step is basting it. That might take a while to get around to.


Also last week I got the August blocks finished for Patchwork Barn. With the picture I can start assembling some of the columns, it is a strippy quilt.

The Quilt Pattern Magazine recently started a new Block of the Month-My Favorite Things. It is essentially a small-ish Redwork quilt, but I am doing mine in blue. I thought about using just white Kona as the background, but didn't like it after I started it. Then I thought grey! I noticed a wonderful piece of grey background, so I am using it. I am not sure what I got it for originally, but this won't take too much of it. The first two blocks are done now, waiting for the next installment in September.

And I finished Ulysses by James Joyce! We still have a few more meetings of the discussion group, so I will review the chapters for that, but actually, I think the earlier chapters make more sense once you have read the later ones.
The Feather Chic sweater is coming along, the back is about 2/3 done now. I am trying not to cast on anything else until this is done. Although I really want some socks on needles. But I have been resisting the temptation, so far.

No comments: