Saturday, November 14, 2009

Dutch Treat blocks

The Dutch Treat block of the month restarted recently, in October, and I am trying to make at least one of these a month. I did manage to make Edelweiss, one of the two BOMs for October, but not Sailboat. I managed to finish that one this week.

I tried a new (to me) technique, or at least one I haven't tried recently. I made a freezer paper template, intending to iron it to the back of the yellow fabric, but forgot to reverse it. So I ironed it on top and needleturned with the paper on top. OK, but I want to try the FP underneath next. I have been trying to applique Circus for the last couple of months, got interrupted by Edelweiss and Sailboat. I went back to it after Sailboat was done, and am not happy with it, the applique is getting bunchy with my usual backbasting. So I am in the proces of restarting this block, making a freezer paper underlay. Hopefully this will be easier the second time around.

2 comments:

Crispy said...

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a freezer paper underlay on the yellow fabric (it could be because it's 6:30 in the morning lol). You leave the freezer paper on when you stitch? Could you explain this to a foggy headed old lady?

Crispy

ConnieB/CA said...

I got the idea from Caroline VanMaele, who explains it in her webshots, applique techniques album
http://community.webshots.com/user/carolinevanmaele