Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cauliflower Quiche

Yesterday for the first time in four weeks I got a Farm share! One of the things talked about in the newsletter was making quiche, and I thought that sounded great. I ended up making my own (modified from a few) recipe, cause I forgot to bring home the one I printed, but hey, it worked. Quiche is wonderful that way, so many variations are possible.
Crust: 1 1/3 cups flour, 1 cube butter (cut into small slivers), splash of salt, mixed it together with my pastry blender, and added ice cold water until it mixed together well. Rolled out and placed in 10" quiche pan.
Quiche:
Sauteed 6 slices of Niman Ranch applewood smoked bacon, remove to drain, and empty pan of most of the fat
Chopped 1 red onion, sauteed in remaining bacon drippings
Steam about 2 cups of Romanesco cauliflower (4.5 minutes in microwave)
Grate Gouda cheese, enough for 3/8" to 1/2" layer in the bottom of the pie crust
Cut bacon and sprinkle over cheese
Sprinkle onion over bacon
Drain caulifower and mash slightly, to break up large chunks into 1/2"ish chunks
Sprinkle over onion, then lightly sprinkle with nutmeg
Mix together 4 eggs, 2 tablespoons flour and 1.5 cups milk (I used 1%) until well blended and pour gently over mixture in quiche pan
Sprinkle a bit of Gouda cheese over top.
Bake in 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes or until center is set.
Remove and let cool a bit, and enjoy!

No comments: