Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend happenings

Monday was Memorial Day (observed) and Chin Health Day. This was my first Chinchilla event. I never knew chins were popular pets until I met Holly, who supports California Chincilla Rescue along with keeping her own chins. They are adorable. It is fun to visit them, but I am not getting one of my own. http://www.chinchillarescue.org/ supported this.

When I got home I got to sit in my new la-Z-boy recliner and test quilt. It works well, got well onto the third side of the quilt. I was watching “The Longest Day” on TV as I quilted, an appropriate Memorial Day viewing. Still need to watch “The War” so I can return it to a friend of mine.

This week’s SBS BOW is G-5, a 16 split point Mariner’s Compass. These are awfully narrow bits of fabric. On Monday night I printed the paper piecing templates and modified the piecing so I could do them in 8 sections. Tuesday I cut the fabrics and started piecing, I ran out of time and energy, so hopefully this will be finished Wednesday night.

On Monday I made a Swiss Chard – Tomato Frittata for dinner. Sauté some garlic and chopped red onion until tender in olive oil. Remove center ribs from Swiss Chard, chop into ½” bits and add to garlic/onion mixture. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add some liquid if it gets too dry, or drain extra liquid if necessary. Mix 4 eggs with 4 large leaves of fresh, sliced basil and add garlic/onion/chard mixture. Add a little more olive oil to pan, heat and pour in egg mixture. Put sliced fresh tomatoes on top of the eggs. Cover and cook for about 8 minutes on low. Flip eggs (I slid eggs out onto plate, covered with pan and flipped), cook another 4-6 minutes (covered) until edges brown. Serve with grated sharp cheddar cheese and toast. This served two.


Tuesday was back to work, then to get my hair cut and then home to do another thread or two in Basic and Beyond. The border is stitched from the baskets on the right around the top to the hearts on the left. I made Taco Salad with no tortilla for dinner. I don't know if I will manage to finish off the contents of the Farm Share before I pick up the next one on Thursday.

No comments: